Presidents Report 2018 from John Burke
I have the pleasure in providing my second and final President’s Report for The Black Rock Football and Netball Club.
In commencing my role in 2017 and throughout the 2018 season, my main objective was to Consolidate, Engage and Promote the club across our league and wider community.
My key focus benchmarked from a strong and sustainable club culture were:
- Player Values and Welfare
- Promote our Club through Community/Council Engagement
- League Respect
- ‘Who’s Your Wingman’ mental health awareness program.
- 500 Leaflets promoting our club to the local households.
- Support local retail businesses through direct purchase.
- Aligned our club with the Black Rock Sports Club.
- Won ‘Back to Back’ Best Club for both Division and League within the SFNL achieved through hard work of Andrew Ferguson.
- Dedicate committee and volunteers where everyone was empowered to delivery and action their ideas and efforts.
On Court/Field our fantastic coaches and players have consistently put out competitive teams that have represented our club with pride and sportsmanship.
Whilst our 3rds struggled for numbers, the passion and commitment from its coach Grenville Wise (who we hope continues) was just fantastic during a difficult year.
I would like to sincerely thank Laura Brogan and Jeremy Starke who are both standing down as head coaches after this year, for their fantastic efforts, management and commitment to their players and our club.
Further, I would also like to thank our ongoing coaches in Annaliese, Lachy Batt and Patrick Irons (recently appointed to head coach of reserve) for their great work and appreciation that they have recommitted to our playing groups.
The appointment of Lachy Batt as our head coach has been significant and with recent appointments of his support staff in 2019 I am sure his efforts will be heavily rewarded.
We didn’t reach finals this year however our club has played finals in three of the last five years and has won a premiership, so no one should underestimate our competitive spirit and desire to succeed.
I would like to congratulate the following people on their achievements:
- Reena and Cory on their respective SFNL league Best and Fairest awards.
- Kelly Spratt on his much deserved club life membership award.
- All B&F winners and placegetters in particular our senior club champion Darcy O’Brien.
- Our club captain and President Award winner Tom Dalton for his efforts in stepping up and leading this club and providing significant support to Lachy in his first year.
- Our fantastic catering/ canteen support personal headed by Adam, Esha and Tegan.
- Our fantastic and loyal sponsors especially Peter Smith.
- Everyone who helps out around the club especially Tom, Billy and Simon our fantastic head trainer.
Finally I would like to thank everyone on the committee who has work tirelessly in trying to make this club better, especially the executive committee of Andrew, Annaliese and Brenton.
My early decision in stepping down prior to the AGM was significant, as it has allowed our current and future executive team in Andrew, Annaliese and Brenton to make some critical decisions now to ensure we are well placed in 2019.
Their reappointment of Lachy, key support staff and player announcements plus a number of other initiatives are the benefits of this early announcement and is a sign that we have a fantastic group of young, smart, dedicated and passionate people willing to take this club forward. I will take on a minor committee role to support the group in anyway.
I could not be anymore prouder to see these people and Lachy in charge of this club.
– John Burke, President 2018